Waikato has named their team for their first defence of the Ranfurly Shield when they take on Hawkes Bay at FMG Stadium Waikato on Thursday night.
Waikato head Coach Jono Gibbes has keep predominately the same team that beat Taranaki on Sunday to lift the Log o’ Wood.
Adam Burn has retained his place at blindside flanker and will have play his 50th match for the province.
There is only one change to the forward pack. Lock, Laghlan McWhannell, comes into the starting XV, trading places with James Tucker who will make an impact from the bench.
In the backs there is only one change, with Bailyn Sullivan coming off the bench to start on the right wing. Sullivan’s inclusion to the starting line up has Tyler Campbell moving to the reserves.
On the bench Otorohanga duo of Murray Iti and Mosese Dawai come back into the match day 23 to cover the loose forwards and outside backs respectively.
Waikato take on Hawkes Bay at FMG Stadium Waikato in Hamilton on Thursday night, kick-off is at 7.35pm.
1. Ayden Johnstone (Hautapu)
2. Samisoni Taukei’aho (Fraser Tech)
3. Joshua Iosefa-Scott (Melville)
4. Tim Bond (University)
5. Laghlan McWhannell (Hautapu)
6. Adam Burn (Hamilton Old Boys)
7. Mitch Jacobson (Hautapu)
8. Jordan Manihera (Hamilton Old Boys)
9. Jack Stratton (University)
10. Fletcher Smith (University)
11. Sevu Reece (Hamilton Old Boys)
12. Dwayne Sweeney – Captain (Morrinsville Sports)
13. Quinn Tupaea (Hamilton Old Boys)
14. Bailyn Sullivan (Hamilton Marist)
15. Matty Lansdown (Fraser Tech
16. Sekope Lopeti-Moli (Hautapu)
17. Haereiti Hetet (Otorohanga)
18. Sosaia Fale (Hamilton Old Boys)
19. James Tucker (Hamilton Marist)
20. Murray Iti (Otorohanga)
21. Raniera Takarangi (Hamilton Old Boys)
22. Mosese Dawai (Otorohanga)
23. Tyler Campbell (University)
Article added: Wednesday 12 September 2018